RE: Input power measurement

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Gary -

On the contrary that incandescent lamp current is a very special current
(Active). With the Active current and the Total current you can find the
power factor or phase angle and much more including the Active,  Reactive,
and Total power as I showed in a previous post on this subject.

The electrical current triangle consists of the Active (Incan Lamp), Total
(Std Ammeter), and Reactive (Calcs) currents. The power factor is found from
the cosine of the angle between the Active and Total currents. The power
triangle consists of the Active, Total, and Reactive powers. The Total power
(VA) is easily found with the standard voltmeter and ammeter.

We have found the power factor above so the true wattage is found by
multiplying the VA by the cosine of the power factor angle. The reactive
power is found by multiplying the VA by the sine of the power factor angle.
You can also find the active and reactive voltages in this way.

That incandescent lamp test gives you a very special current (Active) that
the standard ammeter (Total) can not supply except of course at 100 percent
power factor.  A hot wire ammeter can also do the job but would be more
expensive even if you can find one. However, as I said before when you use
the incandescent lamp method you have to do a little research to find the
correct lamps, etc. You also have to study the circuitry.

John Couture