Re: NST replacements

Don't worry Harvey, you'll always be able to buy a current limited HV
transformer for scientific (or artistic, or whatever) experimentation...

What you won't be able to do (indirectly because of regulation) is be able
to get one for free (or cheap) as scrap.

What it will force the would-be scientist to do is more cost/benefit
analysis.. but, everyone has had to do that anyway...

Scenario:
"A" has an idea they'd like to try out. The first cut at testing the idea
involves using a 15 kV -at- 30 mA current limited transformer. Investigation
reveals that getting such an item (custom made, because they're no longer
mass market devices) would cost, for instance, $500.  "A" now has several
alternatives:

1) Decide that testing the idea is worth $500 and just pay up (the
dedicated amateur with high income approach)

2) Convince someone else that the idea is worth $500, and get them to pay
up (the research scientist with grant applications approach)

3) Figure out another way to test the idea that doesn't use the 15 kV -at- 30
mA ransformer -- maybe a MOT -- maybe a 4kV 1kW switching PSU from a new
microwave -- maybe scaling the voltage to run directly "off line" ( the out
of the box inventor approach)

4) Make their own transformer - it will take some nontrivial amount of
hours - but if hours are cheap and dollars dear, its a way to go (the
handtool craftsman approach - I am reminded of the PBS show where the guy
makes all manner of cool things out of wood, starting with chopping down
the tree)

5) Find a job that will exchange some of your excess hours for more money,
and then buy the $500 transformer (a variant on #1)

Regulatory hassles are omnipresent, but, at least in HV experimentation,
we're pretty much below the radar.  A totally different story if you wanted
to, for instance, fool with a fission reactor in your garage, work with
explosive metal forming, high power rocketry, grow pathogenic organism,
develop high performance spread spectrum or cryptographic equipment.