Re: That other HV List

Hi Pete,

At 11:13 AM 6/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Terry,
>       I vote to allow all HV topics on this list. I'm interrested in TCs,
>induction coils, CW multipliers, Marx generators, and coin-crushers, and
>feel that there is enough commonality and cross-usefulness that it would
>be a good thing.

No one is sure where the other list is at right at the moment ;-)  I guess
they are still talking about it...

I have been allowing those other related high voltage topics lately.  The
key is that the regular "Tesla stuff" is not generating like 100+ post per
day, so there is "room" for the other stuff right now.  It has been no
problem at all really.  The problem would come if the traffic started to
really pick up and we start getting very large numbers of mails such that
no one could keep up (like me :o))  This spring was very tame compared to
previous years when early spring got like 70+ posts per day
consistently.  So I am just playing it all by ear...

I would think that two lists would really be best.  I imagine most people
would sign up for both and notice little difference other than the reply to
addresses.  A problem with everything on one list might come in a year or
so when say the high voltage list really started to dominate things and
Tesla coilers felt they were "second".  Then we would have to kick them off
"our" list to another anyway :o))

A true high voltage group could probably also use a true high voltage
moderator that was expert in the high voltage areas other than Tesla
coils.  There are many high voltage subjects that are pretty far removed
from Tesla coils and people that are expert there may not care about coils
=:O    Take the subject of "lifters".  That area has a lot of questions
that are pretty removed from what true coilers would care about.  And,
Lifter folks may have little interest in coils...  Two groups would easily
handle that situation.  Tesla coiling really is a small subset of the
"whole world" of high voltage.  Personally, I don't think mixing us with
the larger world on just one list is a good thing.  It is easy to sign up
for a few groups of interest, but hard to just filter everything of
interest coming in on just one list...

If Chip wants to rule the whole world of high voltage (I know he does :o)),
I can see running a bunch of lists on say Tesla coils, lifters,
electrostatics, crushers....  And people could just sign onto a "check
list" of the ones they are specifically interested in...  Not sure how
messy that would be from his side, but it may be a cool way to work things.

In other news...  As part of Terry's project "Escape from Microsoft
products!!"  I am getting a Sun RAQ 550 server to "slowly" replace the
present hot-streamer-dot-com computer.  The new "big time" server would have
many cool features like handling pop3 accounts that could be changed fast
to slip away from spammers.  Thus, folks could use that for e-mails and not
worry with things like AOL problems...  And, "I" would not have to worry
stripping those "Stop spam now by getting MSN so you only get Microsoft
spam that spammers have to pay us to spam you with..." trailers...  It also
has DNS services so maybe people could have direct Tesla coil sites without
the "hot-streamer-dot-com" part in the URL.  If bandwidth were to "get bad" I
could also just ship the whole thing off to a "big time" server house for
wild bandwidths...  The RAQ also has full mail list capabilities
too >:o))  Still all a ways off, but things are going in that direction
here...  I have looked at servers for about a year now and Sun RAQ seems by
far the best choice for computer dummy "me" to run such things with ;-))  I
figure it is better to start things a year before hot-streamer blows up,
rather than 5 minutes after :o))  I also note that Pete works for Sun ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry