Re: Counterpoise and MMC demise

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classictesla-at-netzero-dot-com>

I know I'm not the only one who has needed to clean the gap once or twice.
Should a missed firing occur for "whatever reason", and the transformer has
the oomph, it will continue to charge the cap on the next 1/2 cycle up
until conduction occurs (or a failure at the cap or NST). But, static gaps
are highly unlikely to break mechanically. Material transfer such as we see
in relays would also occur in static gap electrodes and should cause a
point charge and lower breakdown. But, there are many possibilities
(humidity, pressure, burning material, soot, erosion, and probably many
other things not listed which could cause higher or lower breakdown.

The bottom line is to avoid the temptation of opening the gaps too wide
(test the breakdown voltage when setting up the gap width), ensure the gap
is mechanically sound, and periodically inspect, clean, and keep a smooth
conduction surface. Make that routing, and the likelihood of NST or cap
failures due to overvolting is greatly reduced.

Bart