Re: AC vs DC and Toroid Question

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

The resonant value capacitor for a 7.5/240 setup is .085uF.  The LTR
capacitor for use with a static gap is around .12uF.  Using a 120BPS
triggered static gap or a 120BPS syncronous RSG would charge a .15uF cap
fully with ease.  The largest possible capacitor that could be used with a
120BPS triggered 7.5/240 setup is .22uF (9 strings of 6 large "Geek Caps" ;) ).

240mA of current can charge a .15uF cap to ~10.5kV once per half cycle
utilizing the inductive kick effect from the NSTs.  It takes far more
current to charge the cap to the typical ~21kV for a PDT-driven coil.

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group