Re: John Freau's SRSG motor controller

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/31/03 4:03:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi All,
>
>I looked at the input current and capacitor current with my controller
>setup at about 1/4 turn on the variac.  This is where it "growls" the best
>;-))
>
>The wave forms are stunning!  Here is the AC input:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/03-05-31-01.gif
>
>and the capacitor current:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/03-05-31-02.gif
>
>Those 30 amps spikes are a combination of "everything".  But they seem to
>be high enough in frequency so the varaic does not saturate.  They just
>help it to growl ;-))
>
>I am just running a 10 amp powerstat and 140uF of capacitance which seems
>to work well with both my motors.  Here are some exciting pictures of the
>lab setup :-D
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/03-05-31-03.jpg
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/03-05-31-04.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>
>     Terry

Terry,

I also used a 10 amp powerstat variac for the phase control on both of my
motors.  For the 1/3 H.P. I needed 254 uf and for the smaller 1/25 H.P.
motor, I used a 18 uf cap.  Both have a little over 90 degrees of phase
control.

Ed Sonderman