Re: How to build a Tesla Tower and free energy

Hi,

I should point out that power lines are a combination of three phases of
which tend to cancel out each other's fields (magnetic too) at a
distance.  In some cases, one phase my be "closer" to the ground so you can
get some net E-field.  But you are better off using an extension cord to
get any "real" power ;-))

I did here of a "credible" account of a person that had a large wood framed
building with a metal roof near a line (capacitive coupling).  He was able
to insulate the roof wire the mess up to light some florescent light bulbs
with great effort.  But getting 50 watts of "free" power from a 300MW power
line is sort of silly ;-))  The power company involved did not really care
aside from being sure the building was a "safe" distance away and the
current induced in the roof we not dangerous (they did eventually "request"
that he ground the roof).

DC high voltage transmission lines that use the "ground" as a return path
can have some "interesting" effects along parallel railroad tracks and
fences as well.

Such things are only a curiosity though.  Jefimenko's motor is much more
"real", but the power is still tiny (unless it gets hit by lightning!).

I think those that wish to find some new energy source should first visit a
big power plant and rest there hands on the side of a big 300MW generator
to get an idea of what "real" commercially viable power feels like!!  All I
could think of is "I hope this thing does not let loose" ;-))  I hear the
best ones are where they use helium to cool the windings...  You usually
only need to call and ask about tours and not list a terrorist training
camp as your home address...  A big 375kV line carrying 500 amps of three
phase 24 hours a day makes the power of even "super" Tesla coils seem
trivial...   If you can find one near and never have, go visit it and stand
under it for awhile ;-))  Working on HV line carrier station equipment with
little streamers flying off my metal glasses frames made me think that it
was sort of a screwed up job I was doing ;-))

Being around "big" electricity "changes" a person's perspective about power...

Cheers,

         Terry

At 08:02 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Yeah, I'm not sure if its true, but possibly one of those urban myths thrown
>about by engineers over the ages.
>Anyways, the lengths of wire told in these tall tales was on the order of
>many miles.  I'm sure everytime the story was told
>though that the distance increased!!!!
>
>Dan
>

> > Nice story, but if you run the math, you can't get a lot of power... We
> > looked into this to get small amounts of power to run a beacon
> > transmitter.  I doubt you could get kilowatts with any practical setup..
> >
> > It's hard enough to couple significant power from the primary to the
> > secondary of a TC, and they're inches apart.
> >

> > Consider
> > 1)  The fields from the wires in the HV transmission line cancel to some
> > degree, especially by the time you get to ground level.  Not perfectly, of
snip...