Re: what is the cost for electricity to run a Tesla coil?

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: what is the cost for electricity to run a Tesla coil?

 > Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > That can depend on a huge amount of things, most importantly being how
much
 > power a certain telsa coil uses. I have a mini coil that runs at a power
 > level of 190 VA (you can also think of VA as watts) that some large
 > lightbulbs laugh at. =D So you can imagine that it dosen't cost that much
 > to run. Most higher power Tesla coils run at about 4,000 -10,000 VA, but
 > when considering that dryers run at about 4,000VA, and a central air
 > conditioning unit runs at about 15,000VA, it's not as much as you'd think.

That sounds like a really large AC unit, bigger than I've seen for any home.
15kW at an EER of say 10 is still over 12 tons of cooling, and that's not
even a good effeciency for such a large unit.

KEN

 > Now the Biggg Coil which runs at 50,000VA is probably a slightly different
 > story. =D You can check out this link that shows you about how much a
 > typical appliance will cost if you run it for one full hour.

<http://home.howstuffworks-dot-com/question272.htm>http://home.howstuffworks-dot-com
/question272.htm
 > Also keep in mind that most people don't run their tesla coil for anything
 > over an hour a month, so when viewed with airconditioning, it's pretty
 > cheap to run. Note that I said RUN, not build or maintain! (Stupid $250
 > capacitor...) =D
 >
 > Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 > Original poster: "Bernie Crews by way of Terry Fritz "
 >
 > what is the cost for electricity to run a Tesla coil?

(airconditioner-ha
 >  > ha, it was the Coil) Scared to run the Coil anymore for fear of blowing
 >  > the fuse again, I went to the Electric Co-op & told my story to the
 > service
 >  > rep. He said "what on earth do you have that requires 50 kW?" I
explained
 >  > & showed a picture of the Tesla Coil. I listened to his response with
 >  > suprise, "It must have been too small a fuse, well get a bigger one on
 >  > it". He was very understanding, or liked Tesla Coils. Later that day he
 >  > called me and told me if the fuse blows again he will send a crew out &
 >  > replace our 25 kVA distribution transformer with ! a 50 kVA unit. :) :)
It