Re: Biggg power & the Elecric company meet :{

Hi Kevin,

At 04:45 PM 7/29/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>... I went to the Electric Co-op & told my story to the service rep.  He
>said "what on earth do you have that requires 50 kW?" I explained & showed
>a picture of the Tesla Coil.  I listened to his response with
>suprise,  "It must have been too small a fuse, well get a bigger one on
>it".  He was very understanding, or liked Tesla Coils.  Later that day he
>called me and told me if the fuse blows again he will send a crew out &
>replace our 25 kVA distribution transformer with a 50 kVA unit. :)  :)  It
>was like a dream.

Are you sure it was not a dream?  Perhaps you have died and you are really
in Heaven :o)))

Nice thing about "reps" is that they are there to please the customer
;-))  They can help get past a lot of technical whining from the field guys :D

>He says the transformer should be able to supply 100% more than its rating
>for 10 minutes (it was a hot day).

Note that the cool down time might be hours...  "Try" not to push that...

>The next size service entrance was a 400 amp service with current
>transformer metering and would be very expensive on my part, so I should
>see if his idea works first.  Is he a nice guy or what?

Very nice guy!!  Beware that "very expensive" might be like $50,000!!
(maybe not close to that for single phase??)  But be interesting if he had
a rough guess as to the cost of such a thing.  I do know the cost of puling
400 amp 480 three phase in.  In this case can't tell the actual number in
public, but lets just say it is staggering!!

Nice to know there are a few power company folks who still like to get us
all the power we want :-)))

Cheers,

         Terry