Re: Soft transformer turn on without a variac

Original poster: "Bart Andeson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Peter,

I guess there are many things you could do. If you are looking for a one
switch setup (power on does it all = power off does it all), You could
simply tie the "power on" to a relay to energize the motor. That would take
care of step 1.

Step 2 would be the soft start for the variac. You could rig a very simple
RC delay to turn on a transistor when the RC voltage reaches the base
turn-on value giving the motor time to reach rpm. The power would come from
the power on switch. Simple half bridge for DC to charge the RC. The
transistor would then turn on a DC coil relay and energize AC to the
variac. But, this still isn't a soft start. A dampening resistor inline
with the variac (say about 2 ohms) would be a cheap. Or you could get
tricky and throw a slow geared-down motor onto the variac shaft and limit
switch where to stop at "on" and "off". As fun as that would be, a
dampening resistor is probably all you need. The power off would take care
of itself.

Take care,
Bart