RE: High Voltage but Low Current fuses...Why ? ? ?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Then you only need a spark gap.  A fuse typically doesn't protect
against transient voltage spikes
as you are describing below.  A simple spark gap will do the job.

The Captain