Re: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Hi,

At 09:35 PM 7/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>I feel that the difference between this being a TC or an induction coil lies
>partly with the pull-in or magnetization current required to cause the
>change-over contacts to switch, which itself is a function of the contact
>design (spring compliance, pull-in distance)
>
>My argument assumes that pull-in occurs early on in the choke's charging
>current life-cycle and that the largest percentage of the "charging cycle"
>results in charge being stored in the electric field of the capacitor.
>
>Your analysis assumes the opposite - that the current flowing in the large
>choke stores magnetic field energy, which field is then allowed to collapse
>resulting in a large back emf which itself appears across the capacitor.
>
>I suspect that, without reading Tesla's (orsomeone else's) contemporary
>anlaysis of the exact device, we will be arguing against each other without
>resolution LOL!
>
> > taken a Leak Detector apart to check and see if it is a true Tesla coil. I
> > do know they give a severe shock like a charged coil inductive kick and
> > unlike a TC where the hi voltage, hi frequency currents can travel on the
> > surface of the skin.
>
>Well, I have two identical leak detectors which certainly are true TCs (I
>will get some photographs posted somewhere later).
>
>By the way, I thought that skin effect resulted in significant penetration
>into resistive human bodies at typical TC frequencies (50kHz to 500kHz) so
>that assertations stating that currents flow harmlessly over the outside
>layers of dead skin are now known to be wrong.
>
>Cheers
>
>RMC, England

If anyone can fine a US patent number on any of these, we could just look
it up...

www.uspto.gov

The repair instruction for the leak testers (modern) are at:

http://www.electrotechnicproduct-dot-com/get_technical/article_1.html

Apparently, a bad "yellow capacitor" results in no output suggesting that
it is a Tesla circuit.  Also the output is rated at 50kV -at- 500kHz...

Cheers,

         Terry