Re: Inductance measurement

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Matt:

If you happen to live in a large city with a good college that has a physics
research lab or EE lab, they probably also have a "standards" lab.  It's
worth the time to befriend someone in one of these labs and then you can
check your Wavetek 27XT or other meter directly against known standards to
see the meter deviation.  We do this at UW-Madison once a year and usually
check our meters against standards like 1 uH, 1 mH, 100 mH, etc.

We want to know who accurate it is especially when measuring primary coil
inductance and sec. coil inductance and this is an excellent way of doing
it.  Most good physics research labs have standards that are directly
calibrated to the National Bureau of Standards so their coils and caps are
excellent references.

We also take the time to check our resistance and capacitance meters.  We
always give the lab tech a handful of free dinner passes and movie
tickets -- sure, it costs us $100 per year but it's worth it to know the
calibration of our meters --- and you can be sure the lab tech is always
smiling when we drop by to do the calibrations!!!

It only takes a few hours and it's time wisely spent.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913