Re: Multiple questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 4:12 PM
Subject: Multiple questions

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Megavolt57-at-aol-dot-com>

 >      All right, I've been off-list for a while so I've built up a few
little
 > questions:
 >
 > 1. For science extra credit I'm throwing a Jacob's Ladder together (He
 > doesn't believe I play with stuff like this, so I'm proving it to him) I
have
 > a spare 6/60 xformer and I thought that would work fine for something like
 > this, about how far apart should the bottoms of the coathangers be for a
 > 6/60? How fast should the separate, like at what angle?

Here's the real answer to this question.. try it and see...  A lot depends
on how hot things get and how rough the surface of the coathanger is.  I'd
start with a gap around a tenth of an inch and a fairly slow taper.  Heck,
you're doing it for extra credit, why not do a little scientific method and
determine the optimum spread rate... What angle gets the longest or highest
spark?

(I will mention that you can spiral the wires in a double helix....)

 > 3. This one is pure courocity, anyone have any really detailed pictures of
 > the inside of a Van De Graf?

I think the Boston Museum of Science has some photos of the inside of their
VDG on their web site.