new 833A problems...

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok,

I have been working on a dual 833A coil project.  IT makes about 24" sparks
now, but has some problems.  Im using 2 tubes of different make, one is
westinghouse, the other, unknown.  The problem was that one tube got red
before the other (the westinghouse got red first).  So i figured i would
add more grid turns to the unknown tube grid.  This helped at first.  But
now i have a better filament transformer, and the problem has reoccured.  I
added even MORE grid turns for the one tube, and this still doesnt make it
balance out.  The wetinghouse has 16turns, and the other tube has 22 i
think, thats a 6 turn difference!  One thing i notice is that at various
fil voltages, the redness will even out between the two tubes. IS it
possible that the westinghouse is taking excessive current?  and that at
higher voltages (like 11V where they start to equall out) there is a taper
in the current draw of the wetinghouse, and the other tube sees what it
needs to match the westinghouse?  But also realize, it took 11V in to make
them equal out in redness, and there is still the 6 turn difference in grid
feedback!  So somethings got to be screwed up here!  The fils of the tubes
are in parallel, as this was all my transformer would allow.  So is it
possible to somehow reduce the current to the westinghouse tube?  Both
tubes look just the same in brightness, so i really just dont understand
it.  The reason this bothers me is that, one tubes grid is seeing a lot
more voltage than the other, and i dont know how much becuase i dont know
how to measure it safely.  But this leads to my next question, could it
just be the way the tube is made, that it has a less sensitive grid?  And
does anyone else see the problem with what is happening?  Could this
possible ruin something?
The coil runs beautifully at full power, there is no stuttering, or
anything that seems to go along with too many grid turns.  But than again
22 turns is not considered to be too much, bet 16 seems kinda low for the
other tube.
Ok, enough rambling, i think i got the point across.  If anyone knows what
may help, please just say it, even if you arent sure!

Steve Ward.