RE: SSTC

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Chris,

Do you have any pictures of your coil?  Or can you provide approximate
dimensions of your secondary coil?
One thing you need to remember is that the primary and secondary coil should
be wound like a solenoid and have
very close coupling unlike the conventional counterpart which typically use
a flat pancake coil with relatively
loose coupling. So yes, coupling is critical.

Also, one thing to note (at least in my experience) is that the tuning
bandwidth for SSTC coils is extremely narrow.
I usually have to be within 1 Hz to properly tune my smaller SSTC.  Also,
because of the narrow bandwidth, anything within the vicinity of the coils
(such as your hand) can detune your circuit very easily.

Dan