Re: Relay Problem - Chattering

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Dan,
I didn't seen anything wrong with your relay circuit.  Perhaps you have a
bad contact in the latching circuit.

However, I wonder how long your LEDs will work, if they are really wired as
you drew them.  Most plain LEDs will fail at reverse voltages greater than
5 or 10 volts.  As drawn, the LEDs will see full line reverse voltages
during their non-conducting half cycle.

I would suggest putting a 200 V Si diode in reverse across each LED. These
will limit the reverse voltages across the LEDs to 0.6 volts, and help
protect against HV transients which could conceivably be much higher in
voltage.

Dave