dual 833A VTTC, problems

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi all,

I have been working on my dual 833A VTTC project for a while now.  I just
recently fired it up again (after blowing the power the first time a month
ago or so) and keep happening upon the same problem.  The tubes are not
matched, so one gets more red than the other.  Rather, one tube is red, the
other dark (no redness).  I found that i originally had way too much grid
feedback, so i cut it down quite a bit.  This made the sparks grow from
about 10" to about 20".  But even 20" is pathetic for 2 of these tubes :(.
Basically what is limiting me is that one tube is getting red, and the
other not, so i cant just let all of the stress fall on one tube.  So i
have 2 ideas that i propose (I think John Freau actually may have told me
these i ideas, i cant remember).  1, perhaps put a resistor in series from
the red tube grid to the grid winding.  This would reduce the turn on pulse
from the grid coil, going into that tube.  2, make a grid coil tap, and tap
the red tube at a lesser turn until i get them to go red at ~ the same
time.  This could be tricky, well actually, either way is tricky!

So has anyone ever had this problem?  If so what was the solution?  Also,
can anyone think of any other solutions?  And which of my proposed
solutions looks better?

Also, a problem that i thought i would not ever have to worry about.  Well
several small problems.  The parts are getting warm.  The primary coil gets
warm after about 30 sec, the 36A RMS doorknob cap array gets slightly warm!
the secondary base gets rather hot, and the discharge point may need to be
replaced often, if i dont get tungsten :)  These arcs are white, hot, and
thick!  So really this coil is becoming a in depth project, when it comes
to all of the de-bugging(not nearly as bad as the other tube coils!). And
of course, there is always the possibility of catastrophic faliure when
running about 2+ KW in a 12"x18" area!

Steve Ward.