Re: Almost done

 > Original poster: "Tim Huneke by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<ibatou2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 >   My class finished our coil with everyones help. Our only problem is we
 > get corona from the top of the secondary, but no matter what topload we
try
 > we just can't get streamers. we have a 12kv nst, "six-pack beer bottle"
 > caps, a flexible spark gap built out of 1/4" tubing, which all feeds a
 > primary of 14 turns of 1/4" copper tubing (flat).  Our secondary is 4" PVC
 > wrapped with 1000 turns of 22 ga magnet wire. We have tried the gazing
ball
 > route (yes I made sure it was glass) and we also tried 3" flex duct. We
got
 > some neat arcs to the top load and tried adjusting the distance from the

Is the top load connected to the top of the secondary winding?  You
shouldn't be getting arcs from secondary to top load.

 > secondary to the top load, but we never could get any streamers or corona
 > from the top load. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

With the flex duct topload (I assume something like 12" or so in diameter?),
try putting a "breakout point" on the side of the flex duct (i.e. a sharp
pointy thing..like a wood screw.  Just use some masking tape to stick it on
(stick the screw through the sticky side of the tape, then stick it on the
topload, point out).

What sort of ground do you have for the secondary?

Put a grounded (same ground as bottom of secondary)  rod or something  about
a foot away from your breakout point.  A standard labstand and rod works
admirably, with a cliplead to ground.