RE: Antenna Probe ( was Oscilliscope Question )

Hi Jeff,

At 12:46 PM 1/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>Thanks Terry...!
>
>That was the antenna that you used to scope out the Model 9J at the
>Pepsi Center, yes?

Oh!  Yes, it is.  I had it on the tripod in the seating area.

>Your analysis with that antenna and a digital (sampling?) scope seemed
>to be a fast a accurate snap shot of secondary resonance (backed up by
>what I measured with the traditional gen/scope method at the grounded
>end of the secondary) AND primary tuning IF memory serves me
>correctly...

I could see the waveform throughout the firing cycle.  The start of the
firing cycle represents the primary tuning and I could measure the
frequency of the first few cycles to determine the primary tuning
frequency.  Later (preferably after the quench) one can see the secondary
waveform and determine its frequency.  So by catching just one shot, you
know the primary and secondary tuning frequencies.

You should be able to do that with a wire antenna too but the plane antenna
is sure to get the right signals coming off the coil while rejecting a lot
of noise.

Cheers,

         Terry