RE: Splicing Primary Copper Tubing

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I assume that you're using 1/4" tubing.  Others may do it differently but
here's what I did.

Take a rat tail file and clean the first 1/2" or so of the inside of tubing
(both ends) where you're going to splice.  Take a 1" length of  some new,
shiny #10 brass screw or threaded rod, which turns out to be a fairly good
fit inside the tubing and stick it midway in the two ends of tubing with a
1/8" gap between.  Apply whatever solder you like best in the gap.  I used
electrical resin core solder, but it won't matter.  Close the gap after
solder is applied and before it hardens.  A propane torch could be used,
but I use one of those 150W (?) Weller soldering guns.  Less collateral
damage...

If 100 feet is too short, that's gotta be one big primary!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

My primary tubing is a bit short (only comes in 100ft lengths), and I need
to splice on a few more turns with additiona.
tubing.  Not being a plumber, I have no clue how to splice copper tubing?

Anyone have a brief description how this is done?  I guess its done with a
blowtorch, plumber's solder, and some flux.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Dan