Re: Splicing Primary Copper Tubing

Original poster: "c d by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>>Any help appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Dan
>

>Dan,
>
>Find a short piece of copper tubing that will fit inside of the tubing
>that you are winding your primary with.  Mine was 3/8" tubing and I
>believe I used 1/4" inside for the splice.  Cut both ends square that are
>to be joined.  Clean with fine sand paper or scotch brite - inside and
>out.  Cut the smaller piece about 1/2" long so you will have insertion of
>about 1/4" into each piece to be joined.  Sand this piece clean
>also.  Coat this piece with flux.  Insert 1/4" into each piece to be
>joined, heat with propane torch, apply solder to the joint until it wicks
>inside, wipe off with a clean dry rag.  If you haven't done any copper
>pipe soldering before, maybe practice this first.  It provides a clean
>smooth joint that you can hardly tell is there.
>
>Ed Sonderman

I just wanted to add
I have used Ed's method and it works great.
I have a primary with 200ft of tubing :)
and its really hard to even find the joint

What I did was cut off a piece of primary tubing about
1/2 inch and then beat it with a hammer untill it
fit inside the tube. Then used that as the joint.
Easy to do and the material is already there.

Chris Dowdy

_