Re: Splicing Primary Copper Tubing

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>My primary tubing is a bit short (only comes in 100ft lengths), and I need
>to splice on a few more turns with additiona.
>tubing.  Not being a plumber, I have no clue how to splice copper tubing?
>
>Anyone have a brief description how this is done?  I guess its done with a
>blowtorch, plumber's solder, and some flux.
>
>Any help appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan

Dan,

Find a short piece of copper tubing that will fit inside of the tubing that
you are winding your primary with.  Mine was 3/8" tubing and I believe I
used 1/4" inside for the splice.  Cut both ends square that are to be
joined.  Clean with fine sand paper or scotch brite - inside and out.  Cut
the smaller piece about 1/2" long so you will have insertion of about 1/4"
into each piece to be joined.  Sand this piece clean also.  Coat this piece
with flux.  Insert 1/4" into each piece to be joined, heat with propane
torch, apply solder to the joint until it wicks inside, wipe off with a
clean dry rag.  If you haven't done any copper pipe soldering before, maybe
practice this first.  It provides a clean smooth joint that you can hardly
tell is there.

Ed Sonderman