Re: An enhanced toroid shape?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

 > I've looked at the dimensions that you guys have run, and have a few
 > questions:
 > 1)  The orange to blue areas indicate the concentrations of the available
 > electromagnetic fields, with blue being the strongest?

The colors indicate electric field strength. White and blue are the
strongest.

 > 2)  The blue areas are the areas in which streamers are most likely to break
 > out from?

Yes.

 > 3)  In the design of a toroid shape, are we shooting to obtain the largest
 > "blue" area possible?

If you want the toroid to hold the maximum voltage that it can for its
size, yes. A sphere would be the ideal shape in this case, white and
blue all arround, but you don't want intense electric fields close to
the secondary windings just below the terminal.
A toroid moves the high fields to some distance away from the coil.

 > 4)  Finally, what, without a load of equations and such that I have neither
 > the education nor the patience to try to
 >       understand, does the field affect as far as breakout?

The maximum electric field that doesn't ionize the air is something
around 3000 kV/m (30 kV/cm). If a simulation with 1 V at the terminal
generates a maximum field E, the maximum voltage that the terminal
can hold is 3000/E kV.

 > I appreciate any thoughts, and is Antonio's INCA program one that can be
 > downloaded for people such as myself  to play with different toroid
 > parameters?

The program is at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs/inca.zip
It runs on Windows.