Re: Magnifier vs. Pi Network Tesla Coil - ***What are advantages***

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Mccauley, Daniel H wrote:

 > > See:
 > > http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres4.html

 > What exactly is the cause for this limitation.  Simulation-wise, each
 > model shows similar results. Is the
 > limitation one of physicality, and only apparent upon actually building
 > these things, or can be easily picked up
 > in a simulation.  I think i might be missing something.

In a regular Tesla coil, the tuning relation is
L1*C1=L2*C2, the voltage gain is sqrt(C1/C2), and the number
of cycles for energy transfer depends on the coupling coefficient,
that can be adjusted at will without changing the other factors
(at least not significantly).

In the directly coupled version, the tuning relation is
L1*C1=(L1+L2)*C2, the voltage gain is still sqrt(C1/C2), but
there is no coupling coefficient to adjust. There is an
equivalent coupling coefficient equal to sqrt(L1/(L1+L2))
that has the same role of the coupling coefficient in a
regular coil with transformer. Note that this equivalent
coupling coefficient is precisely the inverse of the
voltage gain. So, if the voltage gain is 10, the equivalent
k is 0.1 (energy transfer in 5 cycles). With a better
gain of 50, k=0.02 (25 cycles for energy transfer), too low.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz