Re: Magnifier vs. Pi Network Tesla Coil - ***What are advantages***

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com
 >
 > Dan, the first thing I think of as being a major
 > disadvantage of using a Pi network is the 60Hz primary
 > current in the streamers. Streamers to air only would
 > be fine, but when they strike something like a metal
 > pipe that someone may be touching... Just the added
 > hazard. But, beyond that, it would seem to have the
 > advantage of simplicity. Has anyone actually played
 > around with this mode?

I have. There is no 60 Hz current in the streamers
if the bottom of the primary is grounded. The small
inductance of the primary coil short-circuits it.
I agree that the configuration is more dangerous than
a system with transformer, if something gets incorrectly
connected.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz