From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 5:09 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Water absorbtion of Gray PVC

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Although your concerns and comments are valid, its really not necessary
(especially for the mere hobbyist)
to perform this long process of pre-treating a PVC or other hydroscopic
forms prior to winding.

Although your intent is good, i feel your comments may actually
discourage some beginners by making them believe
they need to go through this seemingly overwhelming pre-treatment
process.  This is especially true considering the
comments come from the two most experienced tesla coil firms, Resonance
Research Corporation and KVA Effects.  The beginner
may believe these firm's comments may hold more water so to speak than
the other people on the group.

The important points I think should be made are the following:

1.  Yes, hydroscopic secondary forms such as PVC will benefit from a
pretreatment process as described below especially
in higher power tesla coils (5kW + )

2.  For most small power coils, there is no need to pre-treat the PVC
secondary.  This is based on the experience of many of the members of
this list including myself.  I'm sure if you took a poll, the number of
people on this last that go through the elaborate process of
pre-treating a secondary prior to winding will be greatly outweighed by
the "just wind it" and go people of the list!

Many people on this list will claim sonotube or other cardboard forms
are the worst possible material for a secondary form
and should be avoided at all costs.  However, the best coils i've ever
seen were built with cardboard forms.

Dan