Re: Theoretical understanding

Original poster: tristan Matthews <thrawnda-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I would like to start by thank every one for there help so far. But there
are two critical things that I still don't understand.

First of all on Richie Burnett web site, which btw was very help full, he
talks about notches in the primary and secondary voltages wave forms where
all of the energy is transferred from one to the other. In my mind it seems
that as a current is induced in the secondary by the primary it would then
begin trying to induce a current back in the primary. So that it would be
losing energy at the same time that it was gaining it. There would still be
a periodic nature to the transfer because the transfer rates will still be
dependent on the resonant frequencies. But instead of all of the energy
flowing from one to the other it would reach a equilibrium where the
current in the primary was trying to transfer energy to the secondary at
the same rate that the current in t! he secondary is trying to transfer it
back. (It is very possible that I simply don't understand the nature of
problem properly in which case simply tell me it doesn't work that way and
I will go work through the math and see what happens.)<?xml:namespace
prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Second I simply don't see how the secondary can behave as a LC circuit in
that it is grounded at the bottom and it clearly has enough voltage at the
top to ionize the air and discharge that way. So how is it that it can
resonate with out extreme damping from the top discharge and the voltage
simply flowing away in to the earth when the peek voltage flows to the bottom?

Thanks for your time

Tristan Matthews

p.s. please forgive my lack of spelling and proper grammar.

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance"

Richie Burnett's site from England has clear explanations how the TC
operates.

Dr. Resonance

 > > Hi everyone, i have just joined the list after finishing building my
first
 > > Tesla coil as a UCB lab class final project. While I was been able to
find
 > > an amazing amount of information on the web about how to build the
coil,
 > > but was unable to find any really understanding of how it theoretically
 > > works. The book "Modern Tesla Coil Design and Theory" by Duane A.
Bylund