Re: Floating Scopes

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
 >
 > (This REALLY belongs on the HV list, and i suggest no
 > direct follow up to this note on the Tesla list...)
 >
 > Mention of the Breit/Tuve designs links in here.
 > Their van de Graaf had about an 8' dia top terminal.
 > The operator's position was INSIDE....
 >
 > _everything_ floated.
 >
 > (Smithsonian used to have this set up and viewable, tho
 > nonoperational.   Removal of that exhibit made me
 > 'very sad'.)
 >
 >         best
 >         dwp

	Anyone having some time to spend in Boston should visit the Museum of
Science and see their big (ex MIT) Van de Graaf machine in operation.
Also, they have plenty of TC's running during part of the show.  The
operator isn't in the upper terminal but she (at least the times I've
been there, different shes but still attractive young women) are in a
metal cage which takes spectacular strikes.

Ed