RE: DC Resonance Charging Advice Sought

Original poster: "Dave Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

Hi Bert,

Will the RC filter have any significant impact on the coil performance? I
have the components on hand (933pf -at- 30KV and a 1K 100 watt resistor) that
should have a cutoff frequency of 170 kHz. Note my predicted resonant
frequency is 160 kHz. Any problems there?

The transformer is rated at 770 VA which I think must be very conservative
based on its enormous bulk of 50 pounds. Power could potentially rise to
1200 VA if driven by a Variac to 140 VAC but I will probably be somewhat
circumspect at least initially and keep it closer to specification.

The inductor is a real interesting one and hopefully is suitable for this
application. It is a Kenyon S-9881 20Hy 300ma DCR=125 ohms, 15KV test. It
weighs about 40 pounds!

Yes, your numbers are right in line with my calculations. If I drive the
transformer with a Variac to 140 VAC, max current should average 160 ma with
max power occuring at 500 bps. Predicted current stays well below the
inductor's 300 ma mark which is also good since the diodes are only rated to
330 ma.

Dave

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA