Re: The Day the Music Died (was T&R Electric)

Original poster: "Dave Leddon by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-leddon-dot-com>

To those of you who believe that the loss of T&R Electric as a supplier of
transformers to the coiling community is no big deal and that there are
plenty of fish in the pond, you've obviously never tried to buy a
pig.  Sean Taylor and I went through this last year.  He collected a large
list of suppliers and I attempted to contact each and every one with a
request to purchase a pair of 10 kva pigs.  Only one, in Arkansas,
responded with a quote of $300 for each transformer.  But with shipping by
an independent freight company to the West Coast, the total cost was $700
per pig.  Way too much for our budget.  We did finally scored a pair of
transformers from D.C. Cox (thank you very much Dr. R) that, with shipping
via Yellow Freight, still came to $460 per pig.  And then I had to rent a
truck and drive 50 miles round trip to their terminal to get the transformers.

Then I purchased a nice, reconditioned 5 kva pig from Larry Millard (the
guy on Ebay who had some kind of deal going with T&R) for $199 delivered to
my front door.
Here's a picture of the T & R Electric transformer man parked in front of
my place last fall.
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/TRintheFall.jpg
So I assume that T&R delivers what they sell with the cost of delivery
folded into the cost of the product, a very big deal when you live long
distances from the supplier.  If I knew that we were going to lose them as
a source I would a have bought a dozen transformers knowing that I could
always find a buyer in California (sort of like investing in pig futures).

Dave