RE: T&R Electric - No More...

Hi Jim,

At 04:18 PM 8/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Areason to innovate...
>
>>So let's not panic just yet...  If we could not get pole pigs tomorrow,
>>we would probably think of something far far better the day
>>after...  Loosing a supplier of a part is just fuel for innovation
>>;-))  I have seen a number of vendors "stop" supplying something only to
>>return later after changing their mind.  We simply tell them - Sorry,
>>"you" were designed "out"...  So far, it seems we have plenty of pole
>>transformers floating around...  Often, all it takes to get a big
>>transformer is asking around, a truck, and a few strong friends...
>>
>>While we may need more than "sticks, a few rocks, and a squirrel" to
>>build a Tesla coil, we don't "need" transformers from T&R.
>
>Hmmm.. inverter based microwave oven power supplies spring to mind... 1 kW
>-at- a couple kV DC..

It might be fairly easy to run them at much higher voltage and maybe more
power (short time) too (Terry loves that :-)).  Rewind the secondary for
higher voltage, play with the feedback loops (higher voltage, less
current), bigger fuses and heatsinks (just drop them in oil...).  5kW
supplies the size of a lunch box are common...  We just need to find the
cheap commodity source for them and microwaves seem to be the
ticket!!  Such supplies have all the "parts" already there...

They also may be a ripe "bulk buy" item from our pals in China.  But we
would have to make clear that there would be "no whining" policy if
something did not work out.  Lest we burn our China vendors too =:O  But in
such a case, postage back to China would probably be worth more than the
part ;-))  Those hot-dog attorneys ain't gonna do you no good in a China
courts either :D

If we were really good.......  We could make a switching 14400V 5kW to
split 240 VAC 60 Hz switching power supply and go knocking on the doors of
the utilities ;-))  Technically not hard to do at all,  giant weight size
advantage, but it would probably cost more, unless China could make it for
$5 or something...  Not sure how China makes stuff so cheap, (I have the
feeling that bubble will burst sooner or latter...)  Such a solid state
pole pig replacement would suddenly flood the market with "old iron" pole
pigs free to "anyone" that wanted to haul them away ;-)))  Of course, then,
coilers may not want them anymore either!!! :D   Imagine a 8 x 8 x 12 inch
box with 14400V HV terminals on the sides and a 120-0-120 terminals on the
front, weighs 38 pounds, sells for $157 in quantity...  I know a lot of
Chinese switching power supply makers looking for something to do...  I'll
plant this bug in their ear... >:)))  Maybe they can give us a little
surprise in a few years!!  (Maybe months!!  They ARE fast!!)  Although they
normally "copy very well", they really are quite clever!!!  Maybe we could
get them to go under the brand name of "Tesla" and print it in big letters
across the box so Tesla's name would finally be plastered all over every
power pole in the country :-)))

I can just see the big transformer places blaming "T&R" for "starting this
mess" :o))))  Maybe we could get these vendors to start yelling at each
other not to go POing the Tesla coilers!!!!  :o))))))

I do know of a few commercial designs that dumped CP type caps in favor of
MMC arrays ;-))))

Cheers,

         Terry