Re: Three phase from single phase

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 > Hello Coilers,
 >
 > Regarding the chap wanting three phase power in his house, a number of
 > you have given him sound advice about the cost of getting a three phase
 > service installed.  You just want the service, not a substantial share
 > in the power company!  There's a much cheaper way to do it, and that's
 > to make a rotary converter using a 3 phase motor and some run caps.
 >
 > I've built about six or seven of them, in sizes ranging from 5 to 100
 > horsepower.  The units are not overly complicated, but there are a few
 > pitfalls to avoid, and I'd be willing to discuss off list the details
 > of the ones I constructed.
 >
 > 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

	Wow!  How big are your single-phase service lines and how big is the
transformer they're connected to.  Around here the typical home
distribution transformer isn't much over 5 kVa.

Ed