Capacitor advice

Original poster: "Phil Parry by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ryukin-at-ntlworld-dot-com>

Hi group,

I'm an experienced electronics tech, but now working in IT.  I'm new to
coiling, and have been gathering a collection of HV bits to hopefully make
some nice toys with.

I picked up some very beefy looking Sangamo transmitting capacitors at a
radio rally today and I'd like to know if/how suitable they would be for TC
use.  I've posted a 20Kb jpeg at
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~enzpp/tesla/sangamocaps.jpg .
They look like extra large versions of doorknob caps and come with big
aluminium plates bolted to the terminals.  I have two values, the smaller is
0.00075uF (750pF) at 6000V and the larger is 0.003uF (3nF) at 20kV(!)  They
are both rated at 6.8A current at 1MHz - I would think they were intended
for a high power, low frequency ATU.

I'd be grateful for info/advice on these - knowing what the dielectric is
would be nice for a start.  I gather that ceramic is generally a bad choice
for TC capacitors.  I'd hate to ruin them through ignorance.

If they're not suitable for a tesla coil, I'm thinking of becoming active on
the 136kHz ham radio band - these caps look just the job for antenna
tuning...

Thanks for listening!
Phil