Re: static "sucker" gap / cap stress

I suggest that you take a look at:
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/caplife.htm which has the basic
principles of estimating real capacitor life based on Maxwell's info.

While 500 pps is comparable to the bang rate for your TC, the real issue is
that the rated life/pps is based on 15% voltage reversal: i.e. a single
shot discharge into a basically resistive load. Your TC is discharging into
an inductor, and will typically see more like 90+% voltage reversal.  As
the energy flows back and forth between the L and C, each half cycle looks
like a charge/discharge cycle (i.e. a "shot") to the capacitor.  It's not
as bad as a full power shot, though, and since cap life is very strongly
dependent on voltage (7.5 power), you're a lot better off.  The link above
has an equation that rolls all those things together...

You might also take a look at the RMS current rating.. 20A... calculate the
real RMS current in your setup.. The peak currents are high in a TC, but
the duty factor is low, so the RMS current is probably within reason.