Re: Static gap BPS

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

If you have a DSO available it might be instructive to determine the charge
ramp rate of time for the HV capacitor bank.  Adequate current has to be
supplied, and rapidly, to recharge the cap bank.  Unless you can be sure it
is hitting full charge you can not be sure you are dumping all the energy in
each "bang".  A good DSO scope will allow you to measure the charge time
accurately.  I think Terry has done this before with his fiber optic probes
so perhaps he can elaborate on this matter.

This requires a good current source which is usually only available with NST
running synchro gaps and LTR caps.  Using impedance match caps makes less
energy available due to the smaller cap value but it usually gives a very
pleasant tone to the spark gap.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.