Re: Electrical Properties of Brass

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Thanks Terry,

I think I am going to use copper strips instead.
I'm more worried about loss of power in the tank
circuit than I am about the eventual oxidation
of the circuit. (You can always sand copper, but
you can't easilly modify the electrical properites
of brass... :) )

I'm glad Finn replied to this thread, I am
designing a primary similar to his that allows
the tap to be adjusted as the coil is running.
I was worried that after time, the copper would
oxidize and make the sliding tap less effective.
I could probably attach a small bit of sandpaper
to the side of the tap so it clears oxidation
as it moves :)

I've already designed the thing in AutoCad and
pspice, so others can build it as well.

I'm just now beginning to fabricate the parts. The
rotating primary tap support has been partially
manufactured. The whole thing is made of red oak,
which will look really nice when finished with a few
layers of PU varnish.
(Primary supports are HDPE)

Another thing, I was browsing through the archives
on hot-streamer and I came across your "ground box"
which basically provides ground points for the
secondary coil and saftey grounds for lower voltage
parts. The box is then connected to a pipe ground
via RG-8U cable, at which point the sheild and center
conductor are connected to each other.
I was wondering, what is the maximum length of the
cable, what sorts of things are acceptable to connect
to the saftey ground, and finally what level of power
is this thing effective to?
I haven't yet designed a ground connection into my
system, other than 1" dia copper pipe that extends
down from the bottom of the coil to the ground. (If I
had a
6' ground rod in the middle of the lawn I could
theoretically plop the whole mess on top of it :)

http://www.matweb-dot-com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MBRASE

http://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/dclf/magnetics/lowpermeabilitylc.html