Re: OLTC Maggy modelling

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 11:33 14/04/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>

>---
>these are some of the reasons why to try optimised
>magnifier construction (beyond efficiency ).
>---

>The charging circuit topology and quality of OLTC
>components are the key points in attempt to prevent
>induced voltage kickback troubles .
>But considering your "you play you pay" ,not much luck
>there.

I wouldn't mind spending lots of money on IGBT bricks, and lots of time
designing a flyback converter-based charging circuit, if I thought the OLTC
magnifier was going to work well. But at the moment I have no reason to
believe that it'll be any better than a 2-coil system. It would be more
like "you pay, you don't play." Also, it will be much more complex, because
of the new charging circuit, and the main reason I liked the OLTC was
simplicity.

I'll see how Terry Fritz's magnifier conversion goes. If it gives longer
sparks than the 2-coil system, there may be a case for going ahead.

I'll also try raising the coupling on my 2-coil OLTC and see what happens.

Steve C.