Re: Differences between "bad" streamers and "good" streamers

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Sue,

As a gas is transformed into a plasma, it begins to lose its transparency.
The more conductive (hotter/more electrons) the plasma, the more opaque it
becomes. In the case of your coil, the streamers were apparently hot enough
to partially obscure the much brighter light of the electronic flash,
leaving their shadows on the wall.

BTW, this effect begins to limit how much energy can be transmitted through
the air when trying to beam a very powerful (ala Star Wars) laser pulse. If
the laser pulse is too powerful, the air begins to exhibit dielectric
breakdown, and the resulting plasma begins to absorb significant energy
from the beam.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Out-of-Print Physics and Engineering Books and
coins shrunk by ultrastrong electromagnetic fields!