Re: Dan's boards

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

It all depends on what your planned use for a soldering iron is in the
future.  If this is a one-time thing, than a cheap pencil iron may suffice.
However, if you plan
to do a fair amount of soldering in the future, then a good soldering iron
would be a wise investment.  For this I would recommend something like a
variable temperature
Weller WTCPT soldering station which sell for about $100.00 new.  Definitely
stay away from radio shack irons.  Most of the radio shack pencil irons run
super hot and increase the possibility of damaging the board (lifting pads)
etc...

If you need a source for Weller soldering irons, let me know.  Also, there
are other brands of good soldering irons but i personally favor the Weller
brand.  I think Cooper Tools owns the Weller company now.

Also, I have built up two complete boards so far and they worked perfectly
right from the start, no troubleshooting required.  I hooked up one to an
SCR and pulsed a load using the
boards.  Once my VTTC is complete, I'll do the final test.

The Captain