Re: High midnight at the Texas corral

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.tx-at-prodigy-dot-net>

>[snip]

>MULTYrated power levels from network.(BTW,do you use
>high BPS rotary (n=?) in this system?)

Less than 800 bps.

>See recent posts on TCML and the thread of measuring
>input power.We questioned that ,in certain
>circumstances even for NSTs,and you had pig that was
>warm to touch (hey!).
>So,my guess would be P>5 kw.
>Speaking of 2-coil system that can wrestle with your ,
>Bill Wysock's Super coil is claimed to produce 17'
>long point to point discharges with 7.5 kVA input.I
>guess it is MEASURED input since Bill is well known to
>use control consoles on most of his systems.

I'd say 5 kw is about right.  You're not going to push a 1.5 kva
transformer much past 3x it's ratings.
[snip]
---
>Again ,it's not a word about cap size but power and
>efficiency.
>IMHO,If one uses optimum magnifier configuration (ala
>ACMQ) and high coupling,than with physicaly small
>third coil equiped with optimum toroid can achive not
>just just better efficiency but somewhat higher output
>voltage with same bang size without usual racx sparks
>and flashower disasters.
>Geometry of small resonator with a suitable toroid,all
>placed highly above ground plane ,capacitively
>decouples that thing ,and changes surrounding E-field
>configuration.
>Finally,the waveforms of 3-coil and 2-coil system
>aren't completely the same and can make some
>difference for spark propagation (althought not a much
>IMO).
>TBD things.
>...Lot of 2-coil systems outthere,a few  3-coil
>systems...
>But,there are many of combinations for 3 coil systems
>that work and some seem better than others.
>Obviously,you guessed one of these,better
>combinations,
>and outperformed ordinary 2-coil system.
>Can you give TCML detailed specification of your
>beast?
>
>best regards,
>Boris

I did not guess.  I modelled this system on Richard Hull's 11-e magnifier
as a starting point, and went from there.  Richard is the premier magnifier
builder.  Hull's philosophy was that anyone can put bigger and bigger caps
and pump more power in to get bigger sparks.  He went the other way, trying
to keep the cap as small as possible and used large primary inductances -
and in so doing built some darn efficient coils.  His magnifiers embodied
mush of the same design.