Re: Mad experiment

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
>Robert and all,
>
>This sounds like the famous demonstrations done by the Moody Bible
>Institute using their "Million Volt" Tesla Coil. This system, was used
>along with numerous other scientific demonstrations - they brought along
>LOTS of other neat toys(!), as part of a week long traveling show called
>"Sermons from Science". The program tied scientific facts/demos with an
>overarching religious theme. As part of the show, the presenter would
>stand in bare feet on top of a squat secondary coil (~2 feet in
>diameter, no toroid). When energized, 3-4 foot streamers would issue
>from the fingertips of his raised hands which were covered by modified
>thimbles. The thimbles had little nail-like points soldered to the tips
>like little breakout points. The demonstrator would also set a 2 X 4
>board on fire by simply holding it in one hand. The board was wrapped in
>aluminum foil where he held it to prevent burning his hand, and a
>graphite trace would be marked via a pencil to promote carbon tracking
>and quick flaming of the board.

<snip>

>the system used a rotary gap. Although the Moody Institute no longer
>does these performances, a tamer version of these performances is still
>being done today as the "Wonders of Science", Whittier Christian
>Schools, Whittier, CA:
>http://www.wondersofscience-dot-org/

The "Sermons from Science", now known as the "Wonders of Science", coil is
technically not a Tesla coil but rather an Oudin Resonator.  I was told this
by Dean Ortner last week.  He is the one in charge of the "Wonders of
Science" shows and the one that stands on the coil and ignites the board.
For those interested, here is more info on Dean and the show.

http://www.whittierchristian-dot-org/ortner/ortner.htm
http://www.wondersofscience-dot-org/sfs/BIOGRAPH.HTM

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX