Re: Mad experiment

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Robert and all,

This sounds like the famous demonstrations done by the Moody Bible
Institute using their "Million Volt" Tesla Coil. This system, was used
along with numerous other scientific demonstrations - they brought along
LOTS of other neat toys(!), as part of a week long traveling show called
"Sermons from Science". The program tied scientific facts/demos with an
overarching religious theme. As part of the show, the presenter would
stand in bare feet on top of a squat secondary coil (~2 feet in
diameter, no toroid). When energized, 3-4 foot streamers would issue
from the fingertips of his raised hands which were covered by modified
thimbles. The thimbles had little nail-like points soldered to the tips
like little breakout points. The demonstrator would also set a 2 X 4
board on fire by simply holding it in one hand. The board was wrapped in
aluminum foil where he held it to prevent burning his hand, and a
graphite trace would be marked via a pencil to promote carbon tracking
and quick flaming of the board.

More info on this interesting system (especially some interesting
comments on the design by Fr. McGahee) is available in the Pupman
archives - look under "Moody Bible". Per Harry Goldman (TCBA), the coil
used a small tank cap (only 0.004 uF), but this was used in a Marx-like
voltage doubling circuit (per Fr. McGahee) to get the bang size up, and
the system used a rotary gap. Although the Moody Institute no longer
does these performances, a tamer version of these performances is still
being done today as the "Wonders of Science", Whittier Christian
Schools, Whittier, CA:
http://www.wondersofscience-dot-org/

I originally saw the Moody Coil demonstrated in the early 1960's in the
Milwaukee, Wisconsin auditorium. I was perhaps 11 or 12 years old at the
time, and had just built a Model-T ignition coil powered coil (ala "Boy
Electrician", Alfred P. Morgan) and an 811A powered "candlestick" tube
coil (ala Harold Strand, Popular Electronics). The chance to see the
Million Volt Tesla Coil was an irresistible magnet! It was a week long
presentation, and I went for 3 out of the 5 days, dragging my mother
along since we had to take the bus to get there from the South side of
the city.

Although they demonstrated the big coil each day, Friday's grand finale
was when the presenter, Dr. George Speake, would stand on top of the
coil and let "One Million Volts" pass through his body. Every now and
then they'd trigger a firecracker to go off during a demonstration, just
to keep the audience awake! An entertaining half hour videotape of some
of the various demonstrations, including the Million Volt demo as
performed in the 1950's, is orderable from the Moody Bible Institute in
their "Facts of Faith" tape for a modest cost. BTW, the "style" of the
tape reminds me of the introductions from the old "Outer Limits" TV
show... :^)
http://www.moodyvideo-dot-org/sciclass.htm

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "robert heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>