RE: First light with new MMC PLEASE HELP!!

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I use that wire for a few of the coils i built and a lot of high voltage
inductors i've built for work.  I've never had any problems and some of the
inductors I use it on run peak currents of 2 Amps at 45kV !

Dan

> I use that red wire. Is it no good? This stuff is made by Rea, and I
believe
> is  nysol.
>
> I've wound from 4" to 10" secs with varying gauges and have not had any
> problems.
>
> Dave Hartwick

It just isn't as robust as the polyesterimide at elevated
temperatures. I've also known it to start melting in some varnish
solvents (esp if warmed), it is less immune to damage if knocked or
subjected to friction, and it can't withstand the same voltages. For
a lot of applications it does the job OK and would probably only be a
concern in really high powered coils where voltage gradients could
hit a kV/turn. Obviously it must be considered OK by some people for
some things or it would simply vanish from the marketplace.

    I'd never consider using it in motors or transformers where
heating and magnetostriction could be present. My main wire supplier
won't stock it on principle. Convenience seemed to be the main
concern of a firm I once asked to wind a transformer (the last I ever
did ask to do it funnily enough). When I asked them why they used it
in the 230V primary, they told me that "it's easier to solder the
leads to". Since then, I've wound dozens without failure (unlike
them).

Regards,
Malcolm