Re: RE: First light with new MMC PLEASE HELP!!

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Gary,

> I would advise against using stranded wire, as the AC resistance
> will be
> much, much higher than a comparable solid conductor.  See my test
> resultsat http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm.
> If turn-turn
> insulation is the issue, better to space-wind the lower portion,
> thoughit's not clear that the lower portion sees a higher stress
> than the rest of
> the secondary.
>
> It also sounds like a shorted turn to me.  Was the coil form
> repaired from
> an earlier short?  Is it possible that not all of the carbon track
> was removed?
>
> Regards, Gary Lau
> MA, USA

There is no doubt that it is a shorted turn!! This is quite strange. I
have wound two secondaries for this coil on separate peices of PVC. The
first used 0.95mm wire, and the second used 1mm wire. Both have failed
in much the same place. I meticulously sand, clean and coat the coil
before and after winding. I'm wondering if the extra current at the
base of the coil is warming the wire to a degree that causes premature
failure of the insulation??

Cheers,

Greg Peters.