Re: Does my transformer have PCB oil????????

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Hi Bert,

The oil in my antique transformer is definitely orange-like and smells
really strong (like some kind of oil solvent) - DEFINTELY not sweet.  Also,
I took a small sample of the oil and mixed it with water, and it definitely
completely floats on top of the water.

So right now it looks to be non-PCB.  Now if I could only get that smell out
of my trunk and clean it off some of the items in my trunk I'd be alright.
Also note before I took the transformer from this old friend of mine, we
opened it, he smelled it and said it was defintely transformer oil and not
PCB - as I wasn't about to take a transformer with PCBs in it, but i just
wanted to make sure.

Thanks again

Dan