Re: Why no corona?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

> Hi list,
> Was wondering.
> Power transmission lines, before a substation, can carry from 100Kv to
more the
> 600Kv. So why no corona? Seems we battle corona quite a bit at much lower
> voltages. <shrugs>
>
> Rick W.
> Salt Lake

	No mystery; there IS corona! The upper voltage limit for a given
conductor size is set by the balance between copper loss (I^2 R loss due
to ohmic resistance) and power loss due to corona.  For a given power
transfer the line current is inversely proportional to the line voltage,
while the corona loss increases rapidly above some critical voltage.

Ed