Re: First high Power session since '99

In a message dated 9/5/02 11:25:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> John,
> Did the breakrate sound high? This is a very interesting question. I can't
> say that I've ever listened specifically for this parameter, though I surely
> will in the future. I listen for general tune, of which breakrate is
> obviously a part---I can't really describe what I listen for. I know it when
> I hear it.

Dave,

Another thing which I forgot to mention before, is that it's harder
to determine the breakrate by listening to a static gap equipped coil,
compared to a rotary gap coil.

Static gap coils tend to run at a chaotic breakrate which constantly
varies, so the ear can't pick up the breakrate.  It just sounds like
noise.  Some systems may run steadier than others, and be
easier to determine the breakrate.  Sometimes if the breakrate
is high, the sparks make a hissing or sizzling sound, at least
at lower powers.

Static gap breakrates are harder to measure due to this chaos.
Richie Burnette of the UK used a method of recording the audio
and playing it into a scope.  I forget the details, but it's probably
at his website.

Yeah, as the coils get big, their entire character changes.
Richard Hull's Nemesis coil was impressive, especially when
the 15 foot sparks came to within a couple of feet of one's face
as they often did.

Some of those 20kV commercial caps had a flaw in them
that made them fail easily.  Also, some folks ran them over
their rated voltage, by ignoring how resonant charging effects
can increase the voltage.  I don't really know how sensitive
they really are to lets say 200 or 300 bps, when in series.
Surely a combo of very high bps and over-volting will kill
them quickly.

John