EMI filtration Questions

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I'm searching the archives!...and searching and searching......

1) I must wonder if commercially made filters are up to Tesla duty? An
enormous amount of RF garbage must be pumped back through the AC mains
feeding even modest coils. I'm wondering if custom built filters may not be
a better way to go for serious attenuation, or possibly running multiple
commercial units in series.

2) The effect of other devices: Inherently inductive devices such variacs
and ballasts (MOT, welder) must have some low pass characteristics, but to
what extent?

Let us say an MOT is used on either side of 240 VAC mains for ballast. Could
not suitable caps be used in conjunction with the MOTs to utilize its
inductance for additional EMI filtration in addition to its main ballasting
function?

3) Here's the spoon feed me question: Gary Lau kindly pointed out MECI as a
supplier of big amps EMI filters, but I do not see any that are rated for
240 VAC. What is the current best source for 240 VAC filters? Is there a way
to use 120 filters for 240 VAC service? I'm guessing not, after examining a
typical schematic.

4) Let us assume perfect AC mains filtration is achieved. The AC wiring
through a typical house must act like a terrific antenna and pick up very
significant RF from an operating coil. So our perfect filtration is at least
partially defeated. If part of the goal is to keep as much RF out of the
neighbors house as possible, would not filtration at the AC Mains house
(harboring the offending coil) entrance point be desirable?

When firing at levels that start to produce serious brilliant arcs beyond
about 3', I run around the house to unplug the delicate stuff. Are we
depending on EMI filtration to protect the appliances, phones, computers,
and/or trying to keep the neighbors happy?

This is the one thing I really do not like about coiling: The profuse
garbage produced. There can not be a more efficient method for producing
intensely energetic RF filth. I AM considering a Chicken wire Faraday cage.
Even a partial one would help.
Dave Hartwick