Newbie with a Car Coil

Original poster: "James Prior by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <james.prior-at-metrognome.demon.co.uk>

Hi Tesla group,

I've enjoyed reading and digesting the information on various web
sites, and the Tesla list over the last couple of weeks since I've
renewed my interest in Tesla Coils (actually my interest was
aroused again after a mention on the news about recent anti-gravity
work, which led to me re-investigating all this amazing stuff on the
internet).

When I was about 12 years old I built a TC, based upon plans in a
very old book called "The Science of Kinetic Art", which explained
how to build the coils and a Leyden Jar (a bottle cap!). Luckily for
naive me, in hindsight, it never worked very well, otherwise I'm sure
I would have killed myself!! ;-)

Anyways, I'm 40 now and I've started down the road again, and
have just built a basic car ignition coil power supply and jacobs
ladder based upon the  schematics on a couple of web sites in the
TC webring, with a view to bolting on the Tesla
primary/secondary/SG and caps, etc.

The type of circuit I'm talking about can be found at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/cararc.htm
Simple, quick-n-dirty. Mains into a light dimmer, then cap, then 12v
car coil (although I've built it with a bit more care than just throwing
together a couple of bits on a workbench that might fall over - not
that there's anything wrong with the basic approach ;-).

I wonder if you'd mind me asking a couple of questions, and I hope
this isn't too basic or not quite "on topic" since I'm only at the
power stage!  So please bear in mind I'm an experimental
beginner, and my initial outlay will be basic/cheap (but depends on
peoples comments).

Being based in the UK, I'm on 240V AC, using a 700W dimmer
switch, a 12v car ignition coil and a 10uF 450v cap. (I've also got a
3uF 450v cap which I started with and can parallel with the 10uF for
more umph). It all works quite nicely and produces a good intense
spark up to about 3 to 4cm. On the Jacobs ladder it starts at 1cm
going up to about 6cm where it breaks and with still air it goes right
to the top.

Now, the bit I'm interested in your thoughts on is that the mains
plug is protected with a 3A fuse, and when I run the Jacobs ladder
with the 10uF cap it will operate for about 10-20 seconds then
blows the fuse. Surely this setup isn't drawing 3A x 240v = 720W ?
Or is that quite feasible? I'm not sure what a 12v coil driven at 240V
through the cap will draw in terms of current, but its got to be in
excess of 3A to blow the fuse repeatedly. Thats almost like a 1KW
electric fire isn't it!  I'm just concerned about the possibility of the
ignition coil blowing up - is that likely? Will my dimmer blow-up
first?

Also I have linked the case of the car coil, and one or two other
metal parts (the caps are mounted on) to the earth of the mains
plug to give some basic safety protection of exposed metal parts.
At one point when I set the spark gap really wide, the HT of the coil
was finding these earthed parts instead of the -ve side of the spark
gap, and these "leak" sparks tracking across the chipboard base
were about 6 or 7cm long!! (not bad from a car coil ?)
Well, I've insulated these to stop this now.
Is this behaviour to be expected? i.e. a longer spark to ground,
than to the 240v negative.

The coil gets slightly warm after about 5-10 minutes, and on the
web page it says it hardly gets warm even running all day (at 110v),
but I am running at double the voltage in UK.

It seems there are differing opinions that this 240v into a car coil
can run a TC, but that an NST is more effective. Why? Aren't both
an ignition coil and an NST using 50/60Hz as their frequency?
Would it be better/safer to build a 12v driver using a 555 timer IC
and power transistor, thereby isolating the mains supply, and also
offering fine control over the characteristics of the frequency and
ratio.

Where does the HIGH frequency so important to TC's come from?
Is it (depending on PSU) the 50Hz mains, the 555 or the actual
spark?

I guess my main concern is understanding whats safe and whats
not!  Am I being overly concerned about the mains side when I
should pay more respect for the HT side?
Is my 240v driven car coil going to give too much current when an
NST will be more refined?  Is it bad news to mix the 240v mains too
closely with a TC?

Finally - Is that too many questions in one mail? 8-}

Would appreciate your advice.

Jim (being 12 again).
Smell that ozone.
James Prior
Home e-mail: james.prior-at-metrognome.demon.co.uk
Home: 01476 552040
Work: 01476 552041
Mobile: 07050 129516
FAX: 0870 124 8464